Lake Erie being searched for a missing 8-year-old boy

Search Continues for Missing 8 Year in Lake Erie

OPP search for missing boater in Lake St. Clair

On June 5, 2021 just before 8:00 p.m.members from the Bancroft Detachment responded to reports of a 22 year old female from Scarborough that went missing in the water on Papineau Lake, Municipality of Hastings Highlands.

Investigators said they will provide an update on Monday.

"It was determined that an eight-year-old child was seen swimming in the waters of Lake Erie off of Cedar Drive when the child abandoned the floating raft that they were on and attempted to swim back to shore", Sanchuk said.

United Kingdom records 5,341 new Covid cases and four deaths
It comes as a surge in Covid-19 cases including the Indian variant continues to spread across the UK. More than 40 million people across the United Kingdom have so far had a first dose of a vaccine.


The boy was found about 200 yards (182 metres) off the shore of Cedar Drive.

Sanchuk thanked all of the first-responders and rescue teams that searched for the missing boy.

The Essex County OPP Marine Unit, Chatham-Kent OPP Marine Unit, and the Joint Rescue Co-ordination Centre are now searching the area. Police publicly thanked those who helped search for the boy this weekend.

Manchin warns Dems about going it alone on Biden's spending plan
Biden plans to meet with Republican Senator Shelley Moore Capito, the party's main negotiator on infrastructure , on Friday. Biden didn't name the two senators, but his comments are widely being interpreted to refer to Sen.


The body was found Sunday afternoon, about one day after the search began, according to OPP Acting Sgt. Ed Sanchuk.

A Brantford man who saw the search efforts called it a massive operation.

Crews spent the night searching the lake for the child and that search will continue today. "Everyone down here loves the water and loves being on it but when something like this happens it reminds you of the dangers".

Judge overturns California’s ban on assault weapons
Back in 2017, Benitez reuled that the almost longtime ban on the sales and purchases of magazines holding more than 10 bullets. California Governor Newsom said the judge's decision poses a "direct threat to public safety" and promises to challenge it. .


Latest News