Trump’s pick for secretary of defense withdraws bid, Trump says

Trump’s pick for secretary of defense withdraws bid, Trump says

Trump’s pick for secretary of defense withdraws bid, Trump says

Acting Defense Secretary Patrick Shanahan said on Tuesday he had withdrawn from consideration to head the USA military as reports of domestic violence in his family surfaced, stoking uncertainty about the leadership of the Pentagon as tensions with Iran rise.

He said Shanahan would not be going through with the Senate confirmation process to take on the top Pentagon post permanently, but would instead "devote more time with his family". He served as National Security Advisor for Senate Majority Leader Bill Frist; Policy Director for the House Armed Services Committee; and as a Professional Staff Member on the Senate Foreign Relations and Government Affairs Committees where he was responsible for national security issues.

The president said, however, that they have a "very good vetting process" and this "came up a little bit over the last short period of time".

"After having been confirmed for deputy secretary less than two years ago, it is unfortunate that a painful and deeply personal family situation from long ago is being dredged up and painted in an incomplete and therefore misleading way in the course of this process".

L’équipe probable face au Nigeria
On s'attend à un match difficile et complètement différend, un match âpre, d'autant que le Nigeria peut encore se qualifier. Les championnes du monde en titre viennent de corriger la Thaïlande 13-0, un record, et le Chili 3-0.


Earlier on Tuesday, US media reported that the Federal Bureau of Investigation had been investigating a 2010 domestic fight between Shanahan and his then-wife.

"I can't tell you how long the process is supposed to work", Shanahan responded when asked why it is taking so long for his paperwork to be sent from the White House.

He said he did not want his three children "to relive a traumatic chapter in our family's life and reopen wounds we have worked years to heal".

Trump announced Shanahan's departure in a tweet and said the secretary of the army, Mark Esper, will take over as the new acting defence secretary.

Buhari mourns victims of bomb blasts in Borno
President Muhammadu Buhari has condemned the attack which occured in Konduga Local Government Area of Borno State . Kachalla said that about 40 other people were wounded and taken to nearby hospitals.


Shanahan, a former Boeing executive, has been leading the Pentagon as acting secretary since January 1, a highly unusual arrangement for arguably the most sensitive Cabinet position. While Shanahan said he "never laid a hand" on then-wife Kimberly Jordinson, according to the paper, she said she stands by her account.

Shanahan, who grew up in Seattle, was nominated and confirmed as deputy defense secretary in 2017.

Esper is a former army officer who served in the US-led 1990-1991 Gulf war to end Iraq's invasion of Kuwait, then became a senior executive at weapons and aerospace company Raytheon.

In a statement, Mr. Shanahan said that continuing with the process would be devastating to his children and would force them to relive traumatic personal experiences dating back almost a decade.

Leonardo, le shérif est de retour en ville — PSG
Le poste vacant laissé par Henrique devrait être récupéré par le Brésilien Leonardo , annoncent les médias français et italiens. L'espoir suscité par son retour est important.


This is a developing story.

Latest News