Man dies from flesh-eating bacteria after eating bad oysters

Modal Trigger					
				Shutterstock

Modal Trigger Shutterstock

Health officials say the customer was exposed to a bacterial infection known as Vibrio vulnificus and died just two days after visiting the Sarasota eatery.

The illness was caused by Vibrio vulnificus, officials said.

Florida Department of Health Sarasota County Steve Huard says that the man got Vibrio vulnificus from eating the oyster.

Trump says he doesn't think Russian Federation is still targeting U.S
The story in the July 30 edition of Time delves into the fallout from the Helsinki summit and Trump's seeming affinity for Putin. She said the USA hopes Putin will have the indicted Russians "come to the United States to prove their innocence or guilt".


The news comes from the Florida Department of Health, which revealed that the raw oysters were tainted with a bacterium called Vibrio vulnificus, commonly mislabeled as the "flesh-eating bacterium".

Health officials say the bacteria can be found anywhere in salt water at any time and can also be found in raw or undercooked shell fish. The bacterium naturally occurs in warm, brackish seawater.

Some shellfish fans look out for their health by only eating raw seafood in months ending with an "R", meaning September, October, November and December. This media house does not correct any spelling or grammatical error within press releases and commentaries. This infection can cause blistering skin lesions, bloodstream infections, and necrotizing fasciitis (flesh-eating disease, which causes soft tissue to die) if a wound gets infected.

Trump attacks Michael Cohen over 'Playboy model payment tape'
It is the client who owns the privilege and not the lawyer. "Any attempt at spin cannot change what is on the tape". Trump's campaign had said it knew nothing about any payment to McDougal, the former Playboy centerfold.


Individuals with liver disease, including Hepatitis C and cirrhosis, are most at risk for developing serious illness from Vibrio vulnificus obtained from eating raw oysters.

The Florida Department of Health said symptoms include diarrhea, fever and general symptoms associated with gastrointestinal illness, WWSB reports. It reported three cases with a single fatality in 2017, and two cases in 2016 — one of which leading to a death. Nonetheless, it said that this is the first confirmed case and death of Vibrio vulnificus in Sarasota County this year.

Suspected cases of Vibrio vulnificus need to be immediately treated with antibiotics to improve their survival.

Israeli Arabs 'relegated' by Jewish state
Israelis opposed to the bill, deeming it discriminatory, took to the streets to protest in large numbers in Tel Aviv on Saturday. A bill that enshrines the principle that Israel is a Jewish state has been passed by MPs despite criticism that it is racist.


Latest News