LeBlanc purchased a sack of raw oysters at a nearby market, and just 36 hours later, her health took a turn for the worse.
The latter looked okay the whole day until about 36 hours later, she began having extreme respiratory distress.
Approximately 80,000 illnesses and a hundred deaths annually are caused by Vibrio bacteria in the United States. Doctors' first thought was that she may have had an allergic reaction, but blood tests showed that she contracted a flesh-eating bacteria from the raw shellfish.
Karen added: "I can't even imagine going through that for 21 days".
LeBlanc succumbed to the bacteria and died on October 15, 2017, according to the station. Typically, infections happen from May through October when water is warm.
But while lots of people enjoy raw oysters, few think about the health risks.
Pfizer ends research into new Alzheimer's, Parkinson's drugs
Alzheimer's and Parkinson's are both neurodegenerative diseases that damage memory and motor functions, respectively. Pfizer is to axe research and development into new neuroscience drugs, leading to around 300 job losses .
When treatment is possible, understanding that flesh-eating disease has been caused by Vibrio is important, since it's treated differently from other bacteria.
Lopez says it's important to know that cases like Leblanc's are rare. Most people who contract Vibrio from raw oysters experience only diarrhea and vomiting, and those with these milder cases typically recover in about 3 days, according to the CDC.
"Our Gulf Coast waters definitely can sustain the growth of this organism", Dr. Fred Lopez with the Department of Internal Medicine at the LSU School of Medicine, told CBS New Orleans affiliate WWL-TV.
Both Bergquist and Bowers are now raising awareness about vibrio, saying that they wish they had known the risk of eating the oysters before the tragedy.
If you develop a skin infection, tell your medical provider if your skin has come into contact with brackish or salt water, raw seafood, or raw seafood juices.
It turns out that anyone can get sick from vibriosis, but it's rare.
Google Consolidates Its Payments Services Under Brand Google Pay
Google has recognized the need to streamline its payment brand and that's certainly something that many users will appreciate. Google is merging Android Pay with Google Wallet, introducing a unified payment service called Google Pay .
But vibrio is not Necrotizing fasciitis, the very rare fleshing-eating disease that fewer than 20,000 people in the US contract each year.
In a podcast about eating raw oysters, the CDC explained that anyone is susceptible to getting ill from eating raw oysters.
People with vibrio vulnificus may need intensive care or limb amputation.
U.S. Food Safety advises against eating of raw oysters and provided tips on preparing and cooking them.
"Have them cooked. Have them fried, have them boiled", Lopez said. "You need to have high, sustained temperatures to kill the organism".
Nissan working on auto to read drivers' minds
Nissan is a global full-line vehicle manufacturer that sells more than 60 models under the Nissan, Infiniti and Datsun brands. Nissan also said the system can adjust what the driver sees using augmented reality to create a "more relaxing environment".